BL-11B Soft X-Ray Double-Crystal Monochromator Station
Spokesperson :Yoshinori KITAJIMA
BL-11B provides soft X rays in the energy range between 1.73 keV and 5.0 keV with a double-crystal monochromator from a bending-magnet source. As there are no Be windows in the optical path, BL-11B is suitable for EXAFS measurements of light elements such as Si, P, S, and Cl.
The monochromator and its control system have been replaced since the summer of 2009.
Fig. 1: Optics of BL-11B.
|Optics||Focusing Mirror/Double-Crystal Monochromator [Si(111) or InSb(111)]|
|Energy Range||2057 eV - 5000 eV [Si(111)] or 1724 eV - 3700 eV [InSb(111)]
|Resolving Power||E/dE = ~5000 [Si(111)] or ~1600 [InSb(111)]|
|Spot Size||~ 5 mm (H) x 2 mm (V)|
|Photon Flux||maximum ~1011 photons/s|
Fig. 2: Typical sulfur K-edge XANES spectrum for Na2S2O3 [Si(111) monochromator].
Fig. 3: Typical silicon K-edge EXAFS spectrum for a Si wafer [InSb(111) monochromator].
Fig. 3: Typical titanium K-edge XANES spectrum for BaTiO3 powder [Si(220) monochromator].
- Personal computer for monochromator control [HP (WindowsXP)]
- Software for monochromator control and XAFS measurements (VisualBASIC; similar to other XAFS stations at PF)
- Photon intensity monitor system (mesh and pico-Ammeter)
- Stages for vacuum chambers (2.2 m x 1.4 m, 1.3 m x 1.0 m)
- Simple vacuum chamber for total electron/fluorescence yield XAFS measurements of bulk materials
- BL-11B does not have own vacuum chambers other than a simple one stated above, so that most users should bring one. Many of experimental apparatuses of PF can be connected. Please contact the spokesperson for each apparatus.
- Sample chamber should be evacuated to < 10-5 Torr.
- Beam is ca. 1.55 m above the floor level but ca. 1.2 m from the above-mentioned stages at sample position.
List of publications those registered to PF publication database is available.
Last modified: April 8, 2013.